The Village and Location
Kelmscott is a small and delightful Cotswold village made known for its past and location. Narrow lanes wind their way through to the village marked with wooden signs from Little Faringdon or from Lechlade.
Still rural and unspoilt, surrounded by water meadows and fields, Kelmscott is at the end of a no-through road which ends at a tow path alongside the Thames. A number of the lovely stone houses are in the ownership of the National Trust, the Church Commissioners, or the Society of Antiquaries and understandably, tenants and residents do not tend to move away. The oldest building in the village is the parish church of St.George, built in the late 12th century.
The second oldest house is Kelmscott Manor, built in 1571 and the home of artist, craftsman, and poet William Morris and his wife, Jane who lived at the Manor from 1871 until 1896 and was the founder of the Society of Antiquaries. Morris is buried in the churchyard with his gravestone designed by his friend, architect Philip Webb. Kelmscott Manor is open to the public on certain days and times and it is wise to check the website for times of opening.
The village hall was opened in 1934 by George Bernard Shaw, a frequent visitor to Kelmscott. Nowadays it has a regular craft fair and is the focus for all kinds of village events.
Eating Out Nearby
As an absolute bonus the shepherds hut is within an easy stroll of The Plough with great food, drink owned by Lana and Sebastian Snow who also have the award winning village inn and restaurant with rooms, The Five Alls in Filkins. Bring a torch as street lighting hasn’t reached these parts.